Saturday, November 08, 2008

Brody's Big Boy Bed

Last weekend we decided it was time to switch Brody from his crib to his big boy bed. He was not having trouble in his crib, however we thought that we needed make the switch a good time in advance to his sister coming. We were not sure how it would go and had heard and read to leave his crib in the room and let him sleep in that at night if he wanted to, while sleeping in his bed during nap time. So we made a big deal about his new big boy bed and told him that his sister was going to sleep in the crib since that was for babies. So I guess something clicked in his brain and he said ok, and he has been sleeping in his big boy bed nap and night time ever since. I had heard horror stories about this switch and was told to wait as long as possible, however he has done really good and enjoyed being in his big bed. :) Yeah! Praise the Lord! He is the type of child that if you explain something to him where it makes since to him then he is ok with it. Like throwing away his passie in the trash can and telling him that the trash truck came and took it away, or why it is time to go to bed even when he does not want to, why he can not throw his toys, and how he is a big boy for sleeping in a bed instead of a baby crib. I can only hope and pray that our next big step in becoming a big boy (potty training) will be as easy!!!!!! :)

Yes I know some of you are thinking, man does he sleep with all that stuff in his bed? The answer is yes. :) He has always liked to have his head up against something when he is sleeping (like his bumpers in his crib). And having his stuffed animals in there is a security thing that a lot of kids do. We always go in and check on him, and at night we take some stuff out when he is asleep. :)

6 comments:

amanda torres said...

He looks so cute. And I so completely sympathize with all the stuff on his bed. Mason has always squished his head up against his bumper and sleeps with 3 blankies. I'm glad your transition went so smoothly!

amy said...

YEA FOR BRODY! I tell ya, he is a smart one that boy. He looks so cute and comfy in his bed with the animals all around him. I LOVE the bedspread and head board. Very nice. Good choice. We're proud of you Big Boy!

the Pulleys said...

Yea! That's very exciting! We're attempting that exact thing after the new yr. (and after traveling around the holidays and all). It will prob. be right around her 2nd birthday as wel. This gives me hope! We're going to a twin bed as well, and decided not to mess w/ switching to a 'toddler' bed first and then twin. Beautiful bed too! xoxo

Jill said...

Okay, I am so impressed. I'm dreading both removing the pacifier and switching to the big boy bed...but I am praying that Eli will take to it as well as Brody has!!! What a big boy!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the explaination you gave on why transistion is so easy for Brody. You explain it to him in words he understands. Simple as that. Good job!
Love the sleeping picture. So cute and so STILL! Also love the bedspread. Goes with the rest of the room very good.
Potty training... well next big step. That's where your library and candy jar move into the bathroom. :-)

The Proctors said...

Brody is such a big boy!! You will be so thankful that you moved him before the baby! Sounds like he did awesome!! I may have to use your idea on the passie removal for Taylor!